Wednesday, October 27, 2010

This week's projects...

Oh yes, I have some still life photos for you today. Here are a couple of recent things I've happened upon:

When B and I came home from his gymnastics class Monday night, it was to find D's project du jour in progress. He had been home from his own drumming class for a half hour and in that time had designed the following projector for use in a silhouette show he and B were going to perform later that evening.


This masterpiece consists of a traffic cone on a rolling dolly, connected to a tube with an LED flashlight inside. The rear is mounted on the wheel assembly of an old vaccuum cleaner and weighted with a unit block:


And here, a closeup of the projector and the projected:



So, that was Monday.

Tuesday, I went into my kitchen to make dinner and found the following hanging from my countertop:


You can see B in the corner, trying to get a closer look. Here D has turned a battery, a galvanized nail, some tape, aluminum foil, and a length of wire into an electromagnet. He then raided my stapler for staples to demonstrate the success of his enterprise.

This one is from a little while ago. For D, it's not enough to make music; he has to make musical instruments. This is one he calls a "Echo Box String":


It's like living in an ever changing art exhibit, you know? And it's only Wednesday.

This little sculpture is courtesy of B:


He says this is called "The Water Machine". Thank goodness my hand weights are of some use to somebody!!

3 comments:

  1. I swear, Max is reading your blog when I'm not looking. He's been going on at some length about electromagnets and wanting to pull wire from the ceiling in the basement that he says isn't connected to anything to build this thing

    Not knowing anything about electricity, I'm holding firm on NO.

    "Adventure" doesn't really begin to cover it--I'm having a BALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could get them in the same room! Who knows what they'd come up with (or what they'd destroy????) I can TOTALLY TELL you're having a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you could share this link to your blog with Ms R. It might give her deeper insight into her student and free some of Dylan's mystery.

    And Keep Up The Blog. Surely Dylan has not paused his roving constructionist creativity.

    ReplyDelete